Here are some great suggestions from our Endurance Coach, Kim Welk, from Team W Coaching (TeamWCoaching@gmail.com) to get in the saddle.
If you are coming off the couch to The Denver Century Ride, here are some tips to get your body ready and for having a successful ride!
- Spend some time on the bike – 20 to 30 minutes a few times a week
- Get used to sitting in the saddle (your sit bones will thank you!)
- Familiarize yourself with starting and stopping (you need to follow road rules)
- Familiarize yourself with your gears so you can handle terrain changes
- Working Out
- If possible, take a longer ride on the weekend on a course similar to the event – 1 hour
- A strong core helps balance and stability on the bike so take a few minutes a few times a week to complete the following:
- Push-Ups, Jump Ropes, Single Leg Step Ups, Body Weight Squats, Forward Lunges. (Ensure proper form and repetitions within your capabilities.)
- Create a circuit of 8-10 exercises – 1 minute on :30 off repeat 2 times.
Thanks Kim for these great suggestions!
Check out the Denver Century Ride Facebook page for more training information andcheck out our segment that aired this morning on KDVR on Denver’s Colorado’s Best with Joana!